Talking to your employer about KiwiSaver.

2min read
Posted 10 April 22

Your contract should cover all the details of your KiwiSaver, including your contribution rate. You're free to change your rate every three months or set the figure beyond the maximum. Let your employer know if they're the ones paying into your KiwiSaver.

If you're unsure whether you've got a KiwiSaver already, ask your employer for a copy of your contract. Payment slips also include your KiwiSaver details if you're curious about your current rate. 


Your contract.

You can also talk to your employer about changing service providers on your KiwiSaver scheme. Your employer may have already set you up on a default scheme when you signed your contract, so ask them to see your agreement and check the KiwiSaver rate you're currently on. 

Take a look at the other options and whether you want to switch to a higher contribution rate. You'll need to work out what percentage of your weekly payments you can give up to KiwiSaver first, but doing so locks these savings in the KiwiSaver' vault' for later access. 

Another idea is to ask your employer if they want to contribute more themselves to your KiwiSaver. Legally, they only have to contribute up to 3% of your earnings, but you can ask for more when negotiating your work contract.

Note that some transfer fees may apply if you decide to switch your scheme. It's a good idea to speak to your new KiwiSaver provider first before you go ahead and make the change.

Freelancing or unemployment. 

If you're currently unemployed, working freelance, or on a contract, you may need to set up KiwiSaver yourself. To get the ball rolling, try contacting a service provider. You can view a complete list of available providers on the IRD's website.


Stop! Disclaimer!

Info and tools on the Yonda website are to be used as a guide only and do not constitute financial advice. Use Yonda as a starting point and then seek professional advice.